“T10 Opens the Minds of the Players” – David Miller

David Miller celebrating his half-century. (Source- IPL)

Right after signing off from the 2023 World Cup campaign with a ton against Australia at the Eden Gardens, David Miller is plying his trade in the Middle East, representing Bengal Tigers in the Abu Dhabi T10 League. Miller is popularly known as “Killer Miller” for his rapid knocks, especially in the slog overs and the shorter formats of the game. To go from a 50-over World Cup to the shortest format of the game, T10, in a span of two weeks takes a lot of mental preparation.

In an attempt to understand this transition from a players’ perspective, and to discuss the future of the game, we spoke to Miller in this exclusive interview. He also shared his thoughts on Hardik Pandya, his former skipper at Gujarat Titans, moving back to Mumbai Indians.

Excerpts from the conversation:

Rohan: Just after the CWC is over, back at the crease with a new assignment. An entirely different format. How do you see this transition? How do you prepare mentally?

Miller: To be honest with you, even coming from T20 to T10 is quite a big change. I find it quite challenging in a sense that you need to go every ball. The adrenaline rush is high. You score 30 or 40 and those contributions are big in this format. Sometimes even a 15 off 4 balls has an impact and that is the key. So, you need to be prepared.

Rohan: Thoughts on this competition? Lot of stars are playing here in Abu Dhabi. Do you think this format is helping the players to prepare for the other formats also?

Miller: Yeah, definitely! When T20 came up, people were like: ‘What is this?’. Now if you see, T20 has changed ODI and even Tests, everything is just moving out faster. And now in T10, it is crazy when you realise how many runs you can score in ten overs. It just opens the minds of the players and make them realise what they are capable of.

Rohan: You are known as ‘Killer Miller’ for your finishing abilities. In this format, do you think everyone has to play the role of a finisher? How is the approach?

Miller: Yeah, I think it’s time to think about it. I think it’s about the time you are on the crease and making those small impacts, even if its one or two sixes in five balls. You saw Pooran come out to bat, get a single and then hit two sixes. These impacts are key to this format.

Rohan: With the growing popularity of the shorter formats of the game, what do you think is the future of the traditional ODIs and Tests?

Miller: I think the traditional formats have still got a huge future, it’s going to remain and it should. Test cricket is just unbelievable, even though I’ve never played, I think it’s a fierce format of the game. Coming to ODIs, you’ve seen the World Cup, with so many exciting games. I think there’s space for every format of cricket. And T10, it’s a format in which you have to think on your feet, but yes, the different formats will stay.
Final round for T10 questions, a quick rapid fire:

A bowler you are looking forward to face in the Abu Dhabi T10 League: Probably Imran Tahir. I’ve played with him many times and since he is now retired from international cricket, I haven’t played with him many times in recent times. I’m looking forward to playing him.
A record you’re looking forward to get in this tournament: The fastest fifty maybe! (Laughs)
Favorite thing about the T10 format: The entertainment! You can fit three games in a day, lots of sixes and it is a great entertainment model for the viewers.

Rohan: Have you been following the IPL Trade and Retentions? What are your thoughts on Hardik Pandya leaving Gujarat and going back to Mumbai?

Miller: I haven’t followed the event fully to be honest, but yes I’ve seen that Hardik has moved to Mumbai. Its his decision and not up to me really! Unbelievable player and captain, so obviously it’s sad that I won’t see him this time around in the dressing room. It’s how it is. You build relations over a couple of years and then you move on to different teams. Its just the nature of the game.

Rohan: A funny one to end this conversation. Was it the right decision to choose to bat at the Eden Gardens against Australia?

Miller: Yes, it was! Given the conditions at the Eden Gardens in the previous games. It was turning a lot more than what we expected and, in the evening, it was turning even more. That was the thinking, bat in the afternoon and use the conditions in the evening. It nearly worked out. It got to the 47th over. So definitely the right choice, but didn’t go our way.

Rohan: Thank you so much, and all the best for this season!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *